Overall Rating: 4.5 stars
Book Name: The Moon Dwellers (The Dwellers, #1)
Author: David Estes
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian
Book Boyfriend: Tristan
In a desperate attempt to escape destruction decades earlier, humankind was forced underground, into the depths of the earth, creating a new society called the Tri-Realms.
After her parents and sister are abducted by the Enforcers, seventeen-year-old Adele, a member of the middle-class moon dwellers, is unjustly sentenced to life in prison for her parents’ crimes of treason.
Against all odds, Adele must escape from the Pen and find her family, while being hunted by a deranged, killing machine named Rivet, who works for the President. She is helped by two other inmates, Tawni and Cole, each of whom have dark secrets that are better left undiscovered. Other than her friends, the only thing she has going for her is a wicked roundhouse kick and two fists that have been well-trained for combat by her father.
At the other end of the social spectrum is Tristan, the son of the President and a sun dweller. His mother is gone. He hates his father. Backed by only his servant and best friend, Roc, he leaves his lavish lifestyle in the Sun Realm, seeking to make something good out of his troubled life.
When a war breaks out within the Tri-Realms, Tristan is thrust into the middle of a conflict that seems to mysteriously follow Adele as she seeks to find her family and uncover her parents true past.
In their world, someone must die.
The words are easy to understand, the plot is great, descriptions are good, a page turner, the two narrators is a plus, exciting adventures give the story spices, excellent character qualities, the color of the eyes of Tristan and Adele which I really admire and a “Really? Is this the end of the book one?” look. In short, the book is well written and I am craving for more. Thank you David for this work of yours.
Review (Characters only)
1. Adele’s tough personality and unexpected for a girl are excellent, including her humor and sarcasm (of course). Though sometimes I hate her because she is so mean to Tristan and their feelings to each other.
2. Cole and Tawni are what I can call the “best of friends” that I can count on to anytime. Albeit sometimes, the two have opposite personalities (Cole being serious and Tawni being light and optimistic) but both of them have a good heart and it is the reason why they are a very good tandem.
3. Elsey’s indeed needed by Adele, Tawni and Cole for she is the one bringing happiness, cheerfulness and optimism to the group (more than Tawni) despite of what is happening to all of them.
4. Ben, Adele’s father though had much less physical appearance in the story itself is essential to the formation of her daughter, especially his teachings, may it be moral or physical (like the roundhouse kicks, and I thank him for teaching Adele such tactic).
5. Roc is also essential to Tristan, aside from Adele because if not through him, Tristan will not pursue his intentions towards Adele. They are also (Roc and Tristan) a perfect duo.
6. Tristan, oh Tristan! He’s a perfect boyfriend material. Everything is in his grasp but still he followed what his heart is telling him and leave his extravagant life in the Sun Realm, including of course his father and brother. But it’s okay so long as it’s Adele who will be in his arms.